State Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
Education and assistance on all things Medicare.
Are you ever confused, stressed or unsure about your health insurance options? Understanding today’s health insurance landscape can often be challenging, but SVCOA’s State Health Insurance Program (SHIP) is here to help. SHIP offers free, confidential health insurance counseling to current or potential Medicare beneficiaries. Our trained and skilled SHIP staff is committed to educating, advocating for, and empowering individuals and their families to make informed healthcare benefit decisions.
A few of the common issues that the program addresses include:
- Finding a Part D (prescription drug) plan that works best for you
- Comparing Medigap and other supplemental insurance policies
- Transitioning from employer-based insurance to Medicare
- Helping to clarify confusing medical bills and statements
- Helping people understand the difference between an advantage plan (complete) and a supplemental plan (Medigap)
- Providing clarity around enrollment periods for Medicare
- Helping individuals understand how Medicaid and V-Pharm work with Medicare
For more information about SVCOA’s SHIP Program, call the SVCOA HelpLine at 1-800-642- 5119.
The HelpLine is a toll-free, confidential service that provides older Vermonters, caregivers and others with information, referrals and assistance toward accessing local, state or national resources and services.